'Food dented cans may make you sick'
MANILA -- Did you know that eating food from a dented can may expose you to disease-causing bacteria?
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has said there have been instances of disease outbreaks that were traced to dented cans. This makes people exposed to food from dented cans possibly vulnerable to diseases.
It may be rare, but the Clostridium botulinum, which has been linked to botulism, may grow in food in dented cans. Botulism is a rare but severe illness that affects the nervous system and leads to paralysis.
Bernadette Pagurayan, a mother, has no idea about this. Like many people who have to hurry in the morning for office or school, Pagurayan finds it convenient to prepare food from canned goods to save time for her children going to school every morning.
"Gisa-gisa mo lang. Tinitignan ko naman kung expired na siya. Pag maghuhugas na 'ko ng plato, 'yung sponge kinukuskos ko muna sa sabon," she said.
When her kitchen sponge was tested under a microscope, germs were found thriving in it.
Cross-contamination may occur when a sponge is used to wash dishes where contaminated food from a dented can was placed.
"Yung spore mismo, kailangan niya magbago ng anyo. Pag nasa system na natin sila, doon sila puwedeng mag-release ng toxin," microbiologist Dr. Windell Rivera said.
Eating food from dented can possibly exposes one to bacteria causing botulism, which may cause paralysis, or blurred vision. This may lead to blindness if left untreated.
"Ang worse would be a neurological disorder. It would cause paralysis, pero in some other cases, blurred vision," Rivera said.
Rivera suggested using liquid soap with antibacterial component. He said this will reduce the possibility of exposure to bacteria and prevent cross-contamination.