Bread molds may cause contamination via kitchen sponge
MANILA -- Bread is normally found in Filipino households because it is readily available and easy to prepare especially for mothers with children going to school.
This was the case for a mother named Priscila Simblante, until her daughter complained of stomachache because of expired bread.
"'Di po talaga ako nawawalan ng tinapay kasi mas madali po siyang ipaghanda, kasi lagi po akong busy," Simblante said.
She juggles her duties as a mother to her two daughters and as a store owner.
However, one day, her daughter said her stomach was aching. The culprit was an expired bread the child accidentally ate. The molds further contaminated other items through the kitchen sponge Simblante used.
The sponge was indeed positive of bacteria and germs after it was examined under a microscope.
Simblante was only able to exclaim,"Ang dumi sobra, kadiri," pertaining to the germs she saw.
Microbiologist Dr. Windell Rivera said, "Molds in particular can produce mycotoxins. Maraming causes na puwede siyang maibigay sa isang tao."
It may cause neurological disorder, possibly skin allergies, and even respiratory infections if the spores from the contaminated food product are inhaled by a person.
To avoid the formation of molds, Rivera advised that it will help to use a dishwashing liquid with strong antibacterial property. This will eradicate bacteria, thus lowering the chances of food contamination and poisoning.